In today's lesson, we're going to look at some expressions using
1. If your 'career has its ups and downs' , it has good moments and
My career has had its ups and downs but I'm doing very well at the
His career has its ups and downs but he remains as enthusiastic as
2. If your 'career has blossomed', it has done very well.
She started out as an office junior but since then her career has
Since I improved the level of my English, my career has blossomed.
3. If you have had an 'brilliant career', you have a very good one.
She's had an brilliant career with top jobs in several Wall Street
When you look back on your brilliant career, you must be very proud.
4. If you have had a 'colorful career', it has been interesting and
His colorful career has taken him to many exciting locations.
As an accountant, you won't have a very colorful career.
5. A 'demanding career' is one which takes a lot of effort and/or
He has had a very demanding career in finance with little time to
spend with his family.
I don't want a very demanding career. I want plenty of time for my
6. A 'distinguished career', is one which is respected for its
extremely high standard.
He had a distinguished career in the Ministry of Finance before
moving to the private sector.
You haven't had a very distinguished career so far, have you?
7. If you spend your 'entire career' doing something, that is all
you have done.
I have spent my entire career working for the one company.
I don't want to spend my entire career doing nothing but research.
8. If you have a 'flourishing career', it has grown and developed
She has had a flourishing career as a designer of children's
I don't seem to be having much of a flourishing career in this
9. A 'glittering career' is one which causes excitement and
His glittering career as an actor has brought him wealth and fame.
The boss began her glittering career with the firm as a humble
10. A 'modest career' is one where there are no notable
He has had a very modest career in our auditing office with no real
successes or failures.
You've had a very modest career so far with very little in the way
(Notice though that to 'be modest about your career' means that
there are notable achievements but that you tend not to talk about
11. A 'promising career' is one which promises great success in the
She has started a very promising career in the City and we are sure
she is going to do well.
I seemed to have such a promising career when I was starting out
but it has all gone badly wrong.
12. If you have a 'varied career', you have done lots of different
I've had a varied career so far, from policeman to actor.
We're looking for a candidate with a varied career as this job
requires a range of skills.