I am a little bit lazy these days; summer is approaching and we really start feeling like having some holidays.
On with today's lesson.
1. If you 'bump into' someone, you meet them by chance.
I bumped into Martin in the mall.
You'll never guess who I bumped into today.
2. If you 'burst into a room' or 'burst into tears', you do it
suddenly and without warning.
Don't burst into my room like that. Please knock first.
When I told him the bad news, he burst into tears.
3. If something 'comes into' force, it begins to happen.
The new tax rules come into effect from next Monday.
When the changes come into effect, productivity is certain to rise.
4. If you say that a particular emotion or quality 'doesn't come
into it', it means that it doesn't influence the situation.
I promoted Kate because she was the best person for the job and the
fact that she is my daughter didn't come into.
She's rich because she's good at what she does. Luck doesn't come
5. Often when we use 'go into' it has the idea of 'entering'.
I was thinking about going into politics.
The new model has just gone into production.
6. Sometimes 'go into' can mean to do things in great detail.
The deal sounds good but we'll have to go into the details of the
It's very complicated and we don't have time to go into that now.
7. Time, money or energy that has 'gone into' a project, is what
has been used or spent on the project.
Over $100,000 has gone into the development of this new system.
I appreciate that a lot of effort has gone into the writing of this
8. If you 'grow into' an activity, you become better at doing it
She was very unsure at first but has really grown into her new job.
Give it some time and you will grow into the role.
9. If you 'talk someone into' doing something, you persuade them to
I didn't want to come but Annie talked me into it.
I think I can talk him into it.
10. If you 'tune into' a particular radio or television station,
you select it.
More and more people are tuning into 'The Apprentice'.
People listen to their Ipods and don't tune into the radio as much
Have a nice day.